Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Teriyaki Takes Over the World

Do you eat meat? Do you like Safeway? Do you at least like big chrome horses?

If you answered yes, you may be interested to know that right now you can buy a whole Foster Farms chicken for like three bucks if you're part of the club. Also I've been told there's a good sale on ground beef right now, but I haven't checked it out for myself.

I wasn't so sure about buying a whole chicken because I didn't really know how to cut it up into usable pieces, but it turned out to be pretty simple. These instructions are pretty decent, and if you're able to follow them, you of course have a whole chicken breast (which is quite a lot of meat), two thighs, two wings, two drumsticks, and a few less-than-meaty pieces leftover that you could turn into stock if you wanted.

Personally, after going to the Pacific Rim Street Festival this last weekend, I was craving some teriyaki, so after cutting up the chicken, I filleted the breasts and threw them on the grill, then followed this recipe for sauce to pour over the top. The sauce was a little too salty at first, but nothing some simple dilution couldn't fix. You can just pour that stuff right over the chicken, add some rice and a simple vegetable, and it's a pretty awesome, practically dirt-cheap meal.

As for the ground beef...anyone for sloppy joes?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Friend Morgan, this is a great idea!

Melanie G. said...

I roasted a lemon chicken last night. It was only like $3.59 or something. Thanks for the tip!